Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Interview With Amelia Curzon



Amelia Curzon is a children’s author, children’s book reviewer and occasional blogger. She is the mother of two wonderful children and grandmother to one incredibly sweet and bright two year old. Amelia’s interests include horses and all other animals (wild and domesticated), the environment, art, music and books.



Welcome to The Book Keepers Blog. We are very happy to have you here.

Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Charina. I am really thrilled to be here.

Why write children’s books?
This is a question I am often asked, as I am sure are many children’s authors, and the answer for me is very simple. I thoroughly enjoy it. And I know, and remember with fondness, what it is like to be a child. I believe a little of the child remains in all of us. Children’s books are also terribly important, and some rarely forgotten.  How many of us can remember the stories we read or heard ourselves as children? How many of us have passed those on to our own children? Countless stories and books are handed down from generation to generation – sometimes even by word of mouth.   The same can rarely be said of adult literature. And, contrary to popular belief, writing for children is not easier than writing for adults.  Children can be extremely demanding and writers need to be very creative, but it is something  I personally have always had a great deal of fun with. Smug as it may sound, and it most certainly isn’t meant to be, I feel happy knowing that, just maybe, I have produced something children will learn from. That is a very satisfying thought.

What kind of music do you listen to? 
For me this is sometimes a mood thing and sometimes a location thing. In the car I love listening to anything loud.  Curious, and I don’t know if anyone else does this, but when I hear a track I like, I turn it up full blast and somehow I always seem to drive faster – lots faster. I have very eclectic tastes in music. For instance, I am a great lover of Eric Clapton, especially such tracks as “Let it Grow”, “Cocaine” and “Peaches and Diesel”.  But there are many pieces of music, singers and songs that I like. I do listen to a lot a classical music, but I also love contemporary music. Some of the best popular songs I have heard in the past few years are “Human” by The Killers and “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga. Then there is my stock list of favourites like James Taylor, Leonard Cohen, Meat Loaf, Queen, The Alan Parsons Project, The Rolling Stones and Rod Stewart. I never tire of those.

If you could eat any type of food while you are writing, what will it be? Why?
I always eat Danish Pastries – lots!  Chocolate and any cake washed down with gallons of coffee works well too. But they are all a bit sticky, so ideally I would eat clean finger foods which don’t mess up the keyboard.  I am quite lucky; I never put on weight and can get quite greedy about food, so I am always open to suggestions. 

If you could write any book, even if it has been written already, which one will it be? Why?
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens!  Dickens was one of the greatest story-tellers of all time, and this is one of my all-time favourites.

Five things you’ll take with you to a deserted island
1. A hammock – I would absolutely hate the thought of not being able to sleep above ground on an island where I knew nothing about the wildlife living on the floor.

2. A water purifier – Since salt water is undrinkable, I would be looking towards the heavens for pointers to the nearest fresh running water source. Better to be safe…!

3. A machete – Strictly for cutting fruit and other edible vegetable type goodies! Killing things is not my bag – so if I don’t catch any fish, which seems very likely, I will be living off fruit. I would also use the machete to cut wood and reeds for a shelter, and possibly a raft if I am not rescued within a reasonable amount of time.

4. A supply of disposable lighters – All those fish, I may or may not catch, will be just begging to be cooked over my driftwood fire.

5. A mosquito net – Just in case! (and, if there were a 6th choice – malaria pills).

Good luck with your book! It was a pleasure to have you here.


Amelia is the author of “Mungai and the Goa Constrictor.”



No comments:

Post a Comment